Lead

Mar 27 11 3:07 PM

Tags : :

This film by Mimi Charkarova documents the sex traffick of women out of Eastern Europe. And was sent along by ReAsse to share with you all.

She's a Bulgarian photo journalist who's been documenting the sex trade in three successive photo and film projects -one for PBS Frontline.
This web-site gives a link to the Film's trailer and lots of supplementary links and resource materials. http://priceofsex.org/

Actually this film has nothing to do with Eastern European cam studios directly - it's the absolute bottom rung of the world sex trade that she portrays here - but the striking photos and in depth interviews do allow one to see what the word "poverty" really means in the countryside and small towns of Moldavia or the Ukraine, and maybe understand better why some rural women are so desperate to get out that they will risk almost anything to do so.

Look at the rubric "Maps & Journals" to see interviews; maps and photos with explanatory captions: http://priceofsex.org/maps-and-journals

The Price of Sex: A documentary film investigating sex trafficking
by Mimi Chakarova

The Price of Sex is a feature-length documentary about young Eastern European women who’ve been drawn into a netherworld of sex trafficking and abuse. Intimate, harrowing and revealing, it is a story told by the young women who were supposed to be silenced by shame, fear and violence. Photojournalist Mimi Chakarova, who grew up in Bulgaria, takes us on a personal investigative journey, exposing the shadowy world of sex trafficking from Eastern Europe to the Middle East and Western Europe. Filming undercover and gaining extraordinary access, Chakarova illuminates how even though some women escape to tell their stories, sex trafficking thrives.

IN ASSOCIATION WITH: Center for Investigative Reporting[B]
--------------------
Click here to view the attachment

"I would no more be a Master than a slave. It does not conform to my idea of Democracy." Abraham Lincoln 1856.

Quote    Reply   

#1 [url]

Mar 27 11 3:41 PM

I dont get it either why risk so much to go working in other countries and be fooled by "recruiters" with promises of "decent" and "moral" jobs and actually being involved in prostitution, instead of working from their own home on adult videochat or in romanian cam studios ( they dont need visa) that provides acomodation for the first 3 months.

Probably they listened to persons like some from this forum" get a normal and decent job, dont get naked in front of your PC" Or "hey, i want to save you, i'll help you find something in my area" because they are too moral for this kind of work.

Maybe some even read this forum and decided to not work on cam but trying their fuck (sry.. I meant luck) ) outside of their country. But what to say.. maybe some prefer to be gang banged without their families to know, instead of being recorded with their toys and posted on the internet

You cannot be part of the crowd and achieve your dream at the same time.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Mar 27 11 3:57 PM

I don't get it either, CG. And if we are talking about a big city like Chisniau or Odessa, they might be internet-savvy and speak enough English to get hired by a web-cam studio and stay at home and in school. And they would be very well aware of the risk of being trafficked if one accepts a job offer overseas.

I have spent five years now talking with Cam models in 12 different countries and I only found two who suggested that there was an element of either violence or blackmail in the recruitment methods of the web-cam studios - outside of the Ukraine, that is. One story was told to me by a Romanian model named Eros, who told me in 2005 of her fears that some of the web-cam studios in Bucharest could be a front for human traffickers. But this was just a suspicion that made her very cautious about choosing the studio owners for whom she might work, rather than anything she directly experienced. The other was a Bulgarian model who said in 2006 that young women got kidnapped off the streets of Sofia by sex traffickers and that it made her extremely wary about her security OUTSIDE her web-cam studio.

But that's about it - with the notable exception of the Ukraine where there are stories of models who had a difficult time quitting their studios because they are working directly or indirectly for the Militia. Look here at Katarina's interview:
http://camgirlnotes.15.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=2693

However, Mimi Charkarva is talking about young peasant women who are desperately poor and unsophisticated about the outside world and who usually get trapped into slavery by a local "recruiter" whom they know personally and trust. But this happens in the Romanian countryside too.

Listen to the interview with Jenea here to see exactly how this gets done:
http://priceofsex.org/content/jenea

UL

"I would no more be a Master than a slave. It does not conform to my idea of Democracy." Abraham Lincoln 1856.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Mar 27 11 4:35 PM

Sure, some are suspicious even when they are hired as secretaries, and they have more reason to be afraid of that than when being hired in a cam studio. But being in gray area ( from the legal point of view), the cam studios are more careful as a model can do lot of harm if she wants and I mean it. I doubt somebody would risk a business of over $1 million per year because he wants instead to be violent with a model, not to mention that it would be all over in the newspapers.
And yes, the local "recruiters" are in Romania too..and they are into exactly naive people, maybe also who wouldnt do any type of sex work volunteer.

You cannot be part of the crowd and achieve your dream at the same time.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Apr 19 12 7:49 PM

cool.gif Here's a longer 20 minute YouTube video of her film that may answer some of these questions that were left unanswered earlier: "Sex Trafficking - How It Works."
the focus here is on the case of Moldava and it says little about the situation in Romania which was the leading country exporting sex workers to the West in 2009 - with the Ukraine as County No2 and Bulgaria as country No 3 in the TANPEP Sex Worker survey.
EB

Look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClOpws3XgwY&feature=related

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Dec 15 13 4:01 PM

Guardian - the human cost of sex trafficking - audio slideshow - Dana Popa

The human cost of sex trafficking – audio slideshow

Though moves are afoot to reform European prostitution laws in an effort to protect women from sexual exploitation, the stories of trafficked sex workers are rarely told. To address the gap between reality and reform, photographer Dana Popa visited Moldova, where she spent time at a centre that helps women sold into sexual slavery to recover from their ordeal. Her pictures offer a rare insight into the lingering physical, emotional and psychological wounds inflicted by sex trafficking.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help